Well we all attended the party. We danced, we had quite a few drinks, and we charmed and impressed a whole bevy of beauties and made a lot of promises. And as the party wore on, we drank more, and the words flowed from our lips like we were a smooth, silver tongued, devil. At some point we took someone in our arms and headed home for some post party fun.
Now we are faced with the morning after. The person we came home with looks remarkably different than the one we took home last night. And for the life of us we can’t seem to remember exactly what we said or promised through the post euphoric haze we are in.
So, here we are November 5th, 2008 and President-elect Barack Obama has secured his place in history as the 44th President of the United States. Not only that, but the Democrats have also secured a continuing majority in both the House and Senate. Ok, the die has been cast.
Before we get too far along here, I want to make one point. Those who now say this was some outrageous political message sent out by the masses to show their overwhelming support for the President-Elect need to stop. Obama won the popular vote with about 1% difference from George W. Bush’s 2004 victory numbers. Back then the Democrats all bitched and moaned for months when Bush “barely” won, let’s not get too crazy with the flip side now that it’s their chosen son.
The people spoke, let’s end the rhetoric and move forward. The Democrats have their alleged “mandate” from the American people to bring about the change they promised. They have been given control of the Executive Branch, as well as the Legislative Branch in both the House and Senate. I would also like to remind everyone that starting with the 110th Congress back in January 3, 2007; The Democrats have controlled a majority in both chambers. While the Democratic Party had only 49 members in the Senate, they held an operational majority because the two Independent senators, Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, were independents in name only and sided with the Democrats for organizational purposes. So, for two years they have already been in charge of the Legislative Branch.
Now commencing with the 111th Congress the Democrats will once again hold a majority. There will be no obstacles for them to impose their wishes for “change”. Let the excuses end here and now. Promises were made based on the agenda of “Change we can Believe in.” There is no room for back peddling at this point in time. No one mentioned “Change we would like to see Happen.” If you cannot accomplish what you promised, with a majority control of the House of Representatives, Senate and Presidency then you are simply incompetent. So the American people expect the “Change” they were promised to happen. Otherwise, they were sold a bad bill of goods.
And what were those promises:
1. Cut taxes for 95 percent of workers and their families. (Middle class families will see their taxes cut – and no family making less than $250,000 will see their taxes increase.)
2. Provide generous tax cuts for low and middle income seniors, homeowners, the uninsured, and families sending a child to college
3. Affordable and expanded health care
4. Speedy withdrawal from Iraq
5. Reduce dependence on foreign oil
6. Provide tax relief for small businesses and startups
7. Fight for fair trade
8. Create 5 Million new “Green Jobs” as well as additional jobs in infrastructure and technology sectors
9. Create secure borders and improve the immigration system
10. Make college affordable to all Americans
11. Defeat terrorism worldwide & Prevent nuclear terrorism
12. Rebuild New Orleans and the Gulf Coast.
13. Make housing more affordable
14. Protect Social Security
15. Provide cheaper prescription drugs
16. Protect and strengthen Medicare
17. Increase military ground forces by 65,000 soldiers and 27,000 Marines.
18. Lower health care costs by $2,500 for a typical family
19. Protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport and use guns. (Barack Obama is committed to protecting your gun rights)
All of the above were taken directly from the Obama / Biden website. These are not my words, but theirs. Where I come from, a man says what he means, and means what he says. So, if they don’t give you what they promised, they lied to you. Something I have been warning you about. I wish that I am proven wrong, but I don't see how they are going to able to pull this off.
OK folks, the parties over. The lights are on, the Greek temple columns have put back into storage and reality beckons. Gone is the rhetoric, the promises, the campaign attacks. Now it is time to stand up and produce. I did not agree with President-elect Obama's message or policies, but I will put aside those differences and support him when he is sworn into office. But I will not forget what he promised to deliver.
January 20th there is a new sheriff in town and he has a whole mess of deputies up on the Hill. They got there through a lot of promises; now let’s see if it is really the “Change We Can Believe In” or just the same old “Politics as Usual”.
The Angry American