Thursday, April 4, 2013

A Man of Integrity


C.S. Lewis once wrote that "Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching." 

Today something happened to me that makes me question the veracity of that quote. I am not inferring that the quote is wrong, but I wonder if it is completely accurate.

So I pose this question to you.

What is more difficult, doing the right thing when you are alone or doing the right thing when those actions might be used against you?”

As the matter I speak of is still ongoing I will not go into any details. In fact I have purposely kept myself at a distance from my former peers so as not to put them in the position of choosing sides in the matter.

For months I had felt like a voice in the wilderness. Suffice it to say that the actions of this person confirmed what I had been saying all along. It is difficult when you know something in your heart and yet you realize that truth can sometimes be replaced by political expediency.

This morning truth won out.

However, my vindication seems bitter sweet. I am now left more concerned for this person then I ever was for myself. I wonder what ramifications there will be against them for being honest.

Irregardless of the final outcome I have won. I have been blessed by God to have a friend who would speak honestly on my behalf while exposing themselves to risk for doing so.

It is a very humbling thing and to speak about it any further would only cheapen the magnitude of what they have done.

No comments: