Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Blame Game


In light of the fact that next week we will mark the 11th anniversary of the terrorist attacks on September 11th, 2001; and the recent “platform” debacle that took place at the Democratic National Convention last week, I thought I would address a common type of question that has been raised by my children in the past.

“Where was God?”
“Why did God allow that to happen?”
“Why do people hate God?”

Not trying to slight Mitt Romney or Mormon’s in general, but with the way we, as human’s, blast God on a fairly frequent basis, why would any Mormon want to become a God?

I do not claim to be a theological scholar, so like everything else here, this is strictly my opinion. Take it, leave it, but I hope it makes you think about it.

One day one of my children asked me the question: “Dad, why did God let that happen?” and it really stopped me in my tracks. Did God, in fact, let “that” happen?”

My feeling on this is a simple one; we blame him because he is God.

God is an easy target for man’s wrath. More importantly, it is a safe one.

What are we taught about God? We are taught he is King of King’s, Lord of Lord’s, omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent.

He is described as faithful, loving, kind, merciful, forgiving, patient.

So why do we blame him for everything? For the simple reason that he is all of those things.

It says in Numbers 14:8 “The LORD is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion.”

So why are we so mean to him? I mean honestly, how can you “Boo” God? Whether you happen to be in that small global minority that doesn’t believe in him, is booing really a good thing to do? I mean, have you ever considered the question: What if you’re wrong?

The natural answer to me is that we blame God because the alternative is truly frightening and shakes most people to their very core. If God is not at fault who else could it be?

Enter, Satan. 

Wonder why most people go back to blaming God?

The proposition of good and evil is as old as time itself. We are introduced to this in the Garden of Eden and it a common theme throughout our life. No matter how “nice” or “good” we try to be, our natural bent is to sin.

Disagree?

Ok, stop for a moment and ask, ever lie?

“Dog ate my homework.”
“No honey, that dress doesn’t make you look fat.”
“I maxed at on my taxable deductions last year.”
“My opponent wants to deregulate everything and poison your water.”

Ever steal?

“They buy so many office supplies at work they won’t miss what I bring home.”
“Dad won’t miss the change from the store.”
“It’s not my fault the store clerk gave me the wrong change.”

Ever cheat?

“The ref didn’t call that foul.”
“Oh, honey, you know me I’m just a flirt.”
“I just copied my report from the internet.”

We do, we can’t help it and if you don’t admit to it, then go back to the first question above because you’re lying.

Consider this for a moment. What is sin? The Bible describes sin as the breaking, or transgression, of God's law (1 John 3:4). So if it is the breaking of God’s law, what is an example of God’s law? How about one of the Ten Commandments: “Thou Shalt Not Steal.”

Simple enough right? It’s mine, not yours, don’t take it.

Then why do we need to legally define it in so many ways?

We have burglary, robbery, theft, petty theft, larceny, fraud, identity theft, welfare fraud, etc, etc, etc………. not to mention that each of these is further divided into classifications: felonies, misdemeanors, and these have degrees. 1st degree, 2nd degree, etc…..

We do this for one simple reason. My crime is not as bad as YOUR crime. We have to differentiate why we are not as bad as the next person. It makes us feel a little better.

God gave us free choice, but rather than follow his example we chose to follow Satan. And yet that very prospect terrifies us.

Why? Because if we as human beings admit that Satan is alive and well and flourishing in our lives, we have to admit one fundamental tenant: If there is a God, and there is a Satan; then there is a Heaven and there is a …………….

Oh, wait. That’s not good is it?

You see, by and large blaming God is motivated strictly out of fear of the alternative. If we blamed Satan then there is a Hell. And all of a sudden things become very real.

I believe it is that very reason that we are trying to scrub God out of our history. If we remove him, we don’t have to face his judgment and we don’t have to accept that there is a Satan. Then we can live in ignorant bliss, at least in this life.

Right now, we are in a very bad place. We are spiraling out of moral control and refuse to take the opportunity to do some much needed introspection.

In 1673 Freiherr Samuel von Pufendorf wrote “More inhumanity to man has been done by man himself than any other of nature's causes." 

300 + years and we are still doing it. The question is do we continue to hurt ourselves further, or do we return back to God and ask his forgiveness.

A righteous God is not going to bless a nation that blames him for the sins they are committing or simply refuses to acknowledge his existence.

No comments: