Friday, March 22, 2013

Bloody Fookin Irish


Well, with St. Patrick’s Day 2013 fading into memories I thought I would mention something that gnaws at me.

“Irish” Restaurants, Bars, Pubs, etc…………..

Simply slapping Irish into your name doesn’t make it so. It’s a pet peeve that I am willing to let it go so long as the beer is cold and the food is reasonably good. But fer fook’s sake, try not to be ignorant will you.

Being Irish will drive you damn near mad, politics in Northern Ireland will provide you the car and the chauffer for your trip. My maternal side comes from county Fermanagh. I have learned enough about the history and politics to know that it makes the U.S. House of Representatives look like it is staffed by geniuses.

So imagine by chagrin when I walked into the local establishment that claims the “Irish” moniker for itself and found the following drink on the menu:

Black and Tan

Are you for real?

When you were slappin’ those Dublin road signs on the wall alongside the Guinness advertisements and the tri-color did you think it might be a good idea to open a damn history book and make sure you weren’t insulting half the damn population?

Ignorance, it’s what makes the world livable for fools.

Oh wait, the barmaid just made a pretty shamrock in my pint……… all is forgiven.


No comments: